Monday, April 16, 2018

Adios Ice Cream, It's Been Nice Knowing You...

I have been through quite a bit since my last post. Even though I have been over weight for some time, I was always pretty healthy. My BP was good, and my bloodwork always came back normal. Maybe my cholesterol needed some work, but overall I was good. Until I wasn't.

February 2017, I went to the dentist. They always take my BP. It was a tad bit elevated but nothing to be that concerned over. March, I went to the OBGYN and it was even higher. I chalked it up to the stress of going to the Gynecologist. It still wasn't super high.

And then there was April. I decided that I wanted to donate blood. I answered all the questions and they took my BP. It was high. 150/102 high. For someone who is usually 117/78 that alarmed me. We got my BP down a little and they tried to stick me. I have always been an easy stick. Not this time. Something was up. But what?

May came along and I woke up with the worst migraine I had ever had. I took my BP and it was 16?/?? I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was HIGH. That scared me. I called my MD and set up an appointment for a physical. He ran blood work, an EKG, and a UA. He diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism and put me on synthroid. A month went by and I still felt like garbage so I decided to look up hypothyroidism online. I had some of the symptoms, but not all. I also had some Hyperthyroid symptoms, but not all. Something I read mentioned that if you have symptoms of both, you probably have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder that affects your thyroid. Basically, your immune system thinks that your thyroid in an invader and attacks it. Could that be my problem?

I decided to go to my friend Veronica's Wellness Doctor. More tests (the same tests) plus my hormones were tested along with food allergies. Dr. Davis diagnosed me with Hashimoto's, lactose and gluten intolerance, Adrenal fatigue, and hormone issues. I was a hot mess. It was a much more comprehensive diagnosis than my regular doctor provided. She took the time and explained everything. I had long suspected that I was lactose and gluten intolerant. She put me on Natural T4/T3 thyroid meds, supplements and the dreaded yeast free diet. It's basically meat and veggies, no starches, fruit, sugar, dairy, or anything fun. Bye cheese. Adios ice cream. See ya later bread. It's been nice knowing you.

Six weeks in, I lost 25 pounds. I felt better, had more energy, and my skin (rosacea) was better. I continued on and lost another 15 pounds. Then, vacation happened. Throw in Halloween, Christmas, Easter candy, my mother's 80th birthday party...etc. and I've fallen back on some bad habits (darn sweet tooth) and packed about 8 pounds back on. It's okay though, I can and will lose it again.

Please listen when your body is telling you something is wrong. If your doctor will not find out the root cause of your illness, find one who will. Do not just treat the symptoms, you will never find relief. I can lose the weight. I can change my diet. Unfortunately for me, Hashimoto's is here to stay.  That doesn't mean I have to suffer with the symptoms.

Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV)

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Blessings, 
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment